Discussion Groups: Talk of the Valley

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7
33 vs 27
Posted by: 33employee (IP Logged)
Date: November 30, 2007 09:33PM

As of today I am a former 33 employee. Several were let go, and it had little to do with talent, but for the most part who were the cheapest stayed. I am proud to say I worked at WYTV for several years. Without the bells and whistles of the competition we held our own and in many cases kicked butt. It was a devastating day.

The new company (new vision) believes this is the way the 2 stations can overtake 21, what a joke! They never had the guts to come and tell us in person, spineless. There is no question the 33 people are at a huge disadvantage going to 27.

I am proud to say I worked with professionals like Stan Boney, Bob Hannon, Bill Castrovince and Sabrina Lavdis. They could work anywhere, Youngsown fortunate to have them. Sabrina made a good move in leaving.

Yes, we had our problems, bad management, terrible promotion and lack of a strong male news anchor. But we also did the most with little at times. I will miss the people, but not the garbage of how we have been treated recently.

I find it funny how we always did stories defending those were getting the shaft from companies, who has defended us? Our union turned out to a joke as well.

I just hope advertisers see what happened, and hurt new vision in the pocket book.

Re: 33 vs 27
Posted by: to 33/27 (IP Logged)
Date: November 30, 2007 10:30PM

I'm truly sorry to hear about the loss of your job, and I hope you are able to find a much better one elsewhere. I don't know how this whole merging is supposed to work anyway. I imagine it's just another wannabe money making thing.

when I get off work early enough I watch CBS as I enjoy Katie on the national news after the local. I really don't pay too much attention to the local newscasters as most of the time they can barely stttuter out the words correctly anyway.

I enjoy the Today Show while I get ready for work in the mornings, but the local newscasters and weathermen are no better there either. Geez, the other day you could hear people in the background telling Mark "Monstor" you're on, you're on, you're on. Pathetic.

I thought Frank was bad, this dude is surpassing him. Sorry if I'm confusing the channels, 'cause they all pretty much suck.

Good luck to you and I hope you find a great job in a thriving city. Things will only begin to look up for you now.

Posted by: Valleyman (IP Logged)
Date: November 30, 2007 11:17PM

Sorry to hear that, 33 employee. I work in town here for a worldwide company that did the same thing. 3 years ago, I got hired with another person and two people were let go as part of a whole restructuring process. I started out with less pay than this company used to compensate, but thankful to have the job. These corporations anymore only care about one thing, and it's $$$$$. What a shame.

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and all of those who lost their jobs. Good luck.

Posted by: best wishes (IP Logged)
Date: December 01, 2007 04:41AM

The on-air product will suffer because they will spread their remaining people too thin. Investing in technology is fine, but you will always need PEOPLE to go out and gather the news.

This new company does not care about the quality of their news product or the people and city of Youngstown. They are from out of town and will soak every last dime they can out of 27 & 33 before selling the ruins off in a few years. Good luck to the people who were let go, but be glad you don't have to answer to the weasels now running the company anymore.

Posted by: Tom (IP Logged)
Date: December 01, 2007 05:59AM

Sorry about all of you losing your jobs. All three local stations leave alot to be desired. Who was let go? Hope you all find a better job soon.

Posted by: closedshop (IP Logged)
Date: December 01, 2007 08:55AM

To 33 employee: Is that what this is about - trying to overtake channel 21? That doesn't make sense. But none of this does.

What will channel 27 do when they own all the TV stations in the Valley? They already have WKBN and FOX, and now WYTV too.

If it was cost consolidation, they're doing it backwards. Most consolidations are done so that management can be let go because they're no longer needed. According to the Vindy, the upper management will still be in the channel 33 building. So, what are they going to be managing there? Where's the savings? They still own the buildings, still have to heat them and pay for utilities, still have "the suits" in their offices there, but the news production comes from elsewhere, and will presumably be piped in and aired. You don't need anybody in the station to do that - it can be 100% automated.

This is just another nail in the Mahoning Valley's coffin, as far as I'm concerned.

Posted by: ME (IP Logged)
Date: December 01, 2007 09:29AM

WHAT OTHER REPORTERS WERE LET GO?????

Posted by: Valley Resident (IP Logged)
Date: December 01, 2007 11:01AM

Yeah, what anchors and reporters, besides Vince and Gina, were let go?

Posted by: pink lady (IP Logged)
Date: December 01, 2007 01:29PM

33 employees really got the shaft. they were told all along that things would be fine, no one would lose their job...and they believed their management, who was also lied to. All dept. heads were let go, vince & gina, alot of technical workers as well as cameramen. New vision believes in investing in expensive equipment...not people. those left at 27 will be all the inexperienced college kids who will move on in a few years. It's really the audience who loses out. I for one will never watch 27 or 33 again.

Posted by: Tab Strong (IP Logged)
Date: December 01, 2007 02:10PM

Gina and Vince both got the shaft. I would be surprised to see either of them surfacing at Channel 21. If Channel 21 wanted to replace Autumn Ziemba when she left a few months ago they would have done it then. I think Channel 21 is bent on using Bob Black as a solo anchor. Gina is such a professional and learned her trade from the late Tom Holden. I am sure Tom is rolling over in his grave right now. Good luck to Gina, Vince, and the rest of the employees are were affected by this ugly change.

Posted by: 33 Fan (IP Logged)
Date: December 01, 2007 03:57PM

This makes me sick. Vince was a professional and great anchor. Gina, in my opinion wasn't the same without Tom Holden. But what really is dispicable is that these bastards fired them during the holiday season. What sick individuals, once again Youngstown gets shafted. First we loose manufacturing jobs, schools, and now our local TV stations...such a shame. I hope Vince and Gina and everyone behind the scenes are able to find work elsewhere soon. Remember that the people of this valley feel for you and your families during this very difficult time. God Bless you all.

Posted by: 33/27 (IP Logged)
Date: December 01, 2007 04:11PM

Vince was a really great newscaster. I can not believe they fired him also - and as a previous poster stated - during the holiday season. These leaches will reap what they have sown.

I wish you the very best and God bless.

Posted by: Katie (IP Logged)
Date: December 01, 2007 05:21PM

Anyone out there know if Gina had a non-compete clause in her contract? If so, she may not be able to join WFMJ if asked.........albeit that would be one great addition if she did.

I left the media field 5 years ago and it was the best thing I did. Management never cared......and my heart goes out to all of those affected...the ones who were let go and the ones who will be 'moving' to WKBN.

I wish you all the best. There is something better out there.

Posted by: hmmmmmmmmmmm (IP Logged)
Date: December 01, 2007 05:55PM

> These corporations anymore only care about one thing, and it's $$$$$...

> Our union turned out to a joke as well...

How long did it take ya'll to figure these two pearls of wisdom out?

Posted by: reply to the realitive (IP Logged)
Date: December 01, 2007 06:03PM

33/27 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Vince was a really great newscaster. I can not
> believe they fired him also - and as a previous
> poster stated - during the holiday season. These
> leaches will reap what they have sown.
>
> I wish you the very best and God bless.

who is this a family member????

You have got to be kidding how much longer could we take him sitting there like a statue then kicking his head sideways staring at angie close enough to touch her, the guy was not worth it at all just watch him, he made the newscast a trugery. Watch channel 3 5 8 19 and you will see how a anchor should be especially channel 3 mr white, now thats a male news caster.

Posted by: Valley Resident (IP Logged)
Date: December 02, 2007 12:17AM

So were there any other anchors/reporters, besides Vince and Gina, that were let go?

Posted by: angeesaved (IP Logged)
Date: December 02, 2007 01:48AM

It's all very sad, but at least Angee was saved. She's the only reason I watch the news.

Posted by: How Ward (IP Logged)
Date: December 02, 2007 06:52AM

Wow--you guys are mean. How can you take any pleasure in a guy losing his job? Whether you liked Vince or not, you gotta feel for the guy and his family until he gets back on his feeet.

Posted by: photog (IP Logged)
Date: December 02, 2007 09:18AM

How Ward Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow--you guys are mean. How can you take any
> pleasure in a guy losing his job? Whether you
> liked Vince or not, you gotta feel for the guy and
> his family until he gets back on his feeet.

It is hard to "feel" for the person who is greatly responsible for my loosing my job. But I guess its not his fault for being such a bad anchor, its managements fault justs as much for keeping the bum around for as long as they did. He will just live off his wifes income like before.

Posted by: Shady Run (IP Logged)
Date: December 02, 2007 07:41PM

So what will they do with the WYTV building? Storage? Will they move the dopplar tower up the street to WKBN?

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
News
Opinion
Entertainment
Sports
Services
Classifieds
Records
Discussions
Community
Help
Forms
Neighbors

HomeTerms of UsePrivacy StatementAdvertiseStaff DirectoryHelp
© vindy.com. All rights reserved. A service of The Vindicator.
107 Vindicator Square. Youngstown, OH 44503

Phone Main: 330.747.1471 • Interactive Advertising: 330.740.2955 • Classified Advertising: 330.746.6565
Sponsored Links: Vindy Wheels | Vindy Jobs | Vindy Homes