facebook twitter RSS

Discussion Groups: Talk of the Valley

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Current Page: 1 of 12
Unsolved Boardman Murders / can you help?
Posted by: Inspector Gadget (IP Logged)
Date: September 06, 2006 09:54PM

On April 24, 2006 the Vindy ran the story AGAIN about the 12yr old boy whose body was found in a dumpster behind the Boardman Plaza. The boy's name was Brad Lee Bellino and the date was April 4, 1972. This case along with the murder of a 15yr old Thomas Baird who was found beaten and later died on Lake Park Road Dec. 3, 1970 both appear on the Boardman Police Departments web site.

I was hoping that by posting anything I could about these two cases I might stimulate some interest and who knows what might become of it. I know it is a long time ago but maybe someone out there might just know something that would help the authorities solve both of these cases.

What do you remember about either case? The Bellino boy was found on the Monday after Easter 1972. Who was he with last? When was he last seen? Why did then Boardman Police Chief Hartsell travel to Bradenton, Florida relative to the Bellino case?

Any memories of what was being said at the time? Who was the Minister that was being questioned?

Re: Unsolved Boardman Murders / can you help?
Posted by: Just a question (IP Logged)
Date: September 06, 2006 11:54PM

Tell me was this the Bellino family that left the area? Where they related to the golf pro George Bellino? Do they even live in the State of Ohio now?

As to your other question is the Pastor your asking about move to Canada?

I'll check back for your answers.

Posted by: Where are they now? (IP Logged)
Date: September 07, 2006 10:14AM

The cops that investigated the Bellino case are Rupp, Nicholas, and Hawkins from Boardman P.D. where are they now? The Mahoning County Sheriffs Dept. and for some reason YSU Police Dept. had officers working on the Bellino case but I don't know who they were do you?

Posted by: anonymous (IP Logged)
Date: September 07, 2006 11:45AM

I was a child at the time. I remember seeing the front page of the Youngstown Vindicator, about the Bellino murder. It was the most horrendous picture I ever remember seeing on the cover of a newspaper. My mother caught me looking at it, and hid the paper from me. But, it was already planted in my brain. The dumpster with the childs sneakered foot sticking out of the center of it. I can still see it over 30 years later. It gave me such nightmares, I couldn't sleep for a very long time. I asked my mom about it a few years ago, and she thought she heard a stepfather or someone like that was involved. This case has always interested me. My mom also told me that Mr. Isaly was never the same after discovering that murdered child in that dumpster. What a sad, sad, sad story.

Date: September 07, 2006 08:53PM

Thanks Anon for responding. Please pass the word to others so that we can help solve both of these crimes. I have talked to two of the former officers and both have said they will go over thier notes and post on this site.

I asked if the two murders even though they were about a year and half apart might be related.

Who was Mr. Isaly and is he still around?

I have asked Dr. Kennedy the County Coroner if he would review the old files and pictures from the crime scene to see if there was anything that might be new.

Keep it up!!!

Posted by: Curious (IP Logged)
Date: September 07, 2006 11:29PM

I wonder who keeps posting just to move this post down the line?

Date: September 08, 2006 11:37AM

Inspector Gadget:

OOPS. I called my mom a few minutes ago to "pick her memory" and she said it wasn't Mr. Isaly. It was Mr. Rafoth who was the owner of Isaly's. Isaly's was the store in the plaza. The childs body was found in the dumpster behind that store by the owner. My mom said Mr. Rafoth was pretty old at the time, so he is probably deceased by now. She didn't have time to discuss it any further, but if I talk to her again, I will see what else she recalls.

Date: September 08, 2006 11:56AM

What Protestant Church was near that location? Now remember it could be gone by now but I do believe that a Minister from a nearbye (to the plaza) Church figured into this crime.

I have asked Dr. Kennedy the County Coroner to confirm if the boy had been sexually molested.

What school did Brad Bellino attend and do you know anyone that went to school with him. They would be in thier early 40's now.

Date: September 08, 2006 11:58AM

I.G.

never heard about this "sinister minister"...I DID hear rumors the boy was molested though...I haven't a clue what school he went to, or anyone he was friends with, etc...

perhaps google would have something more on him? I haven't checked yet, but perhaps.

Posted by: another story (IP Logged)
Date: September 08, 2006 02:44PM

Dan Magnetti who worked for some local police dept. had hid own therory but then was "hurried" into retirement and moved from the area.

Somebody spent a lot of money to make sure this case never got solved. I wonder who and why and was it related to the earlier murder on Lake Park Road in December of 1970?

Date: September 08, 2006 03:35PM

there was another one about a young boy named David Evans who was also found dead after he was reported as missing in the 70's...never heard anything else about that one...anyone remember that? i think he was in middle school..he was in some of my classes...was a quiet boy, wore wire rimmed eyeglasses...thats all I remember..

Date: September 08, 2006 04:55PM

anonymous Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> there was another one about a young boy named
> David Evans who was also found dead after he was
> reported as missing in the 70's...never heard
> anything else about that one...anyone remember
> that? i think he was in middle school..he was in
> some of my classes...was a quiet boy, wore wire
> rimmed eyeglasses...thats all I remember..

I was wondering if anyone would bring up the Evans case. He lived in a neighborhood just east of Glenwood, a little south of the Cadillac Drives. I lived just on the other side of Glenwood. He came from a very nice family and I believe had a disability. He just disappeared off the street one day in late winter 1974 or 1975 (my dates could be a little off). His body turned up a couple weeks later. I was only around seven or eight at the time, but I think it was found in a dumpster behind the Boardman Plaza or something like that. I also recall that a light blue sixties model car was associated with the case. I'm still spooked by that incident.

Posted by: maxi (IP Logged)
Date: September 08, 2006 06:45PM

I am so glad that there is talking about this subject....maybe through this forum this could be discovered about these murders.

Posted by: To anon (IP Logged)
Date: September 09, 2006 10:29AM

The Boardman PD only list two cases as being "unsolved murder" and the Evans name wasn't one of them just Brad Bellino April 1972 and Thomas Baird 1970 but have no fear I will ask and post back thier responce.

Posted by: anon (IP Logged)
Date: September 09, 2006 10:40PM

keep this on top until we get some action

Posted by: wondering (IP Logged)
Date: September 10, 2006 02:31PM

I remember this case well. A relative had "insider" info that a suspect was a prominent Boardman man who also may have had an association with the operators of that particular Isaly's where the body was dumped. Later, we heard that an investigator was paid off to leave town. Perhaps this is just gossip or speculation though.

Posted by: Name names (IP Logged)
Date: September 10, 2006 08:21PM

The boys that were killed need someone to step up and "name names" so that this crimes can be solved.

Who were the cops that turned the other way and who paid to have that happen and why?

Posted by: BoardmanNews???? (IP Logged)
Date: September 11, 2006 10:09AM

Why hasn't John Darnell Editor and everything else at the Boardman News seen fit to ask the questions about these murders in his paper? I would think that his newspaper would be the best way to get people in Boardman talking about these murders again. Maybe a letter to the Editor would spark the interest necessary to solve these crimes. Lord knows that there isn't much else in the Boardman News to read.

Posted by: wondering (IP Logged)
Date: September 11, 2006 01:22PM

If you want the answer to that question then you should read the post by CJACKSON.

Posted by: Inspectator Gadget (IP Logged)
Date: September 11, 2006 02:45PM

What post by C Jackson I have looked all over these posts and couldn't find what you are talking about and who might C Jackson be?

Current Page: 1 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
News
Opinion
Entertainment
Sports
Services
Classifieds
Records
Discussions
Community
Help
Forms
Neighbors

HomeTerms of UsePrivacy StatementAdvertiseStaff DirectoryHelp
© vindy.com. All rights reserved. A service of The Vindicator.
107 Vindicator Square. Youngstown, OH 44503

Phone Main: 330.747.1471 • Interactive Advertising: 330.740.2955 • Classified Advertising: 330.746.6565
Sponsored Links: Vindy Wheels | Vindy Jobs | Vindy Homes