facebook twitter RSS
 

Discussion Groups: Stories

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
E.J. Blott Elementary to celebrate success
Posted by: Vindy.com (IP Logged)
Date: August 16, 2007 06:50PM


Re: E.J. Blott Elementary to celebrate success
Posted by: Catholic Mom (IP Logged)
Date: August 16, 2007 06:50PM

No; what they fail to mention is all the Catholic kids who came in during the year who tested with the less educated public school kids and raised the scores. When they aren't there next year, it'll be interesting to see what the'real' scores are.
Go ahead and pat yourselves on the back..you did try hard,and you have only the best intentions, but lets face facts here.

Re: E.J. Blott Elementary to celebrate success
Posted by: ??? (IP Logged)
Date: August 16, 2007 07:54PM

Catholic Mom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No; what they fail to mention is all the Catholic
> kids who came in during the year who tested with
> the less educated public school kids and raised
> the scores. When they aren't there next year,
> it'll be interesting to see what the'real' scores
> are.
> Go ahead and pat yourselves on the back..you did
> try hard,and you have only the best intentions,
> but lets face facts here.


So why did the Catholic kids come in? Was it so you could get a free hand out because the school was in trouble. What does it mean now that the school is out of academic emergency, no vouchers?? How gross you are you mooch

Re: E.J. Blott Elementary to celebrate success
Posted by: Catholic Teacher (IP Logged)
Date: August 17, 2007 12:59AM

Catholic Mom,
Your post is imbecilic. The behavior of Catholic parents in this case has scandalized the state. E.J. Blott's scores are normally good. It is unjustifiable for the taxpayers to have to pay tuition for your children all the way through 12th grade because of a blip in the scores of this primary school. The scores at every other level of Liberty schools were fine, and there is no reason that these children couldn't continue their educations in the middle school and high school buildings. You have really won the lottery at the expense of the taxpayer!

To get on here and crow about this embarrassing episode is shameful.

Re: E.J. Blott Elementary to celebrate success
Posted by: Catholic Teacher (IP Logged)
Date: August 17, 2007 01:10AM

Catholic Mom,

By the way, I hope you know that the state removes $5,300. from Liberty's funding for each child attending another district or school, even if your tuition is only $2,000. So 32 kids times $5,300. would be $169,600. Now multiply that by ten more years of withdrawal: $1,696,000. Of course the state will probably increase the deduction from the public schools every year.

This is the very problem that drove Youngstown into financial emergency. Three kinds of education "choice": open enrollment, vouchers, and charter schools cost the Youngstown Public Schools $25,000,000 and forced the taxpayers to, in effect, support two school systems instead of one.

Re: E.J. Blott Elementary to celebrate success
Posted by: Education Voter (IP Logged)
Date: August 17, 2007 11:14AM

Look at yourselves, Liberty people, Catholic or otherwise. If trying to help out a few Youngstown kids two years ago would drive your numbers down to sanctions, or having a few extra parochial school kids could really drive the score numbers up to a better category.. than WHAT DOES IT SAY ABOUT THE VALUE OF THESE TESTS?

Your own child's score is what matters. Your own child's score could be either much higher than the average, or much lower. Or he/she could be scoring about the same as other kids. What is the point really of comparing this year's class to last year's class? We all know every class has its own personality.

Anyone who has taken a civil service test should understand what these scores mean for the future success of your child. You score high on a test -- great. Does it predict the quality of your actual work in the workforce thereafter? That we are not so sure about.

Also parents, don't get in a sweat about this test score in isolation. The test items on these are not secure. Have you heard about bootleg copies of the fireman's test, etc.? Well, the state publishes a number of questions on their website every year, with answers. The testing company has a limited bank of questions they use for the tests. YOU WILL SEE THOSE QUESTIONS AGAIN. Some schools download these questions every year and save them until they have their own bank of questions and answers. They make sure the kids study these. That is why, when there is a new test, like the fifth grade science and social studies this year, the scores for that test are much lower.

Other school systems have not thought of doing this. (For educators, this sort of thing was always considered unethical.) I asked the O.D.E. about this and their answer was kind of "What can we do about it?" I saved the e-mail response, so I could paste it here. So if you are in a school system with slightly lower scores, do not worry. Look at your child's other scores, like the S.A.T. or Iowa. Those tests are more reliable and valid.

Whenever parents say that their kids have to do "packets" of test questions and answers, I wonder. Hmmmm. They could be similar questions, sure. They could also be the same questions.

I think the whole farce is just a way to privatize education, not for the Catholic schools, for the corporate schools that will come next. Four, at least, in Youngstown already. At least one in Columbiana County. No school boards to worry about anymore, because no taxpayer voice needed. Only taxpayer $.

Re: E.J. Blott Elementary to celebrate success
Posted by: Letsseewho (IP Logged)
Date: August 17, 2007 11:34AM

Publish a list of the catholic families that came in short term took the vouchers and now are going to steal Liberty tax payers money. SEE HOW PROUD THEY ARE IF THE PUBLIC KNEW

Re: E.J. Blott Elementary to celebrate success
Posted by: Another Catholic Mom's opinion! (IP Logged)
Date: August 17, 2007 11:46AM

Catholic Teacher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Catholic Mom,
> Your post is imbecilic. The behavior of
> Catholic parents in this case has scandalized the
> state. E.J. Blott's scores are normally good. It
> is unjustifiable for the taxpayers to have to pay
> tuition for your children all the way through 12th
> grade because of a blip in the scores of this
> primary school. The scores at every other level
> of Liberty schools were fine, and there is no
> reason that these children couldn't continue their
> educations in the middle school and high school
> buildings. You have really won the lottery at the
> expense of the taxpayer!
>
> To get on here and crow about this embarrassing
> episode is shameful.

I couldn't agree more...this is such an abuse of a system that was designed to help children in mostly inner city school districts that CONSISTENTLY failed to meet their achievement standards. In my opinion, it is no different than welfare fraud or abuse of workers compensation! I know parents that have moved their children out of parochial schools and into a "failing" school district for three or four months just so they would be eligible for a voucher the following school year-all at the taxpayers expense. You should be embarassed to brag about that kind of abuse!!
To the teachers, administrators and parents at E.J. Blott-I congratulate your achievements and hope your success continues!!

Re: E.J. Blott Elementary to celebrate success
Posted by: concerned parent (IP Logged)
Date: August 17, 2007 11:51AM

Letsseewho Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Publish a list of the catholic families that came
> in short term took the vouchers and now are going
> to steal Liberty tax payers money. SEE HOW PROUD
> THEY ARE IF THE PUBLIC KNEW


Good Point!! The really said part about all of this is these kids are our future; we should demand the very best education for all of them-no matter what type of school they attend!

Re: E.J. Blott Elementary to celebrate success
Posted by: Always thinking ahead (IP Logged)
Date: August 17, 2007 11:57AM

Catholic Teacher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Catholic Mom,
>
> By the way, I hope you know that the state removes
> $5,300. from Liberty's funding for each child
> attending another district or school, even if your
> tuition is only $2,000. So 32 kids times $5,300.
> would be $169,600. Now multiply that by ten more
> years of withdrawal: $1,696,000. Of course the
> state will probably increase the deduction from
> the public schools every year.
>
> This is the very problem that drove Youngstown
> into financial emergency. Three kinds of
> education "choice": open enrollment, vouchers, and
> charter schools cost the Youngstown Public Schools
> $25,000,000 and forced the taxpayers to, in
> effect, support two school systems instead of one.

To "Catholic Mom"
I would be very careful about what you say-it could just come back to haunt you. Have you noticed all the parochial school closings? Your kids could just end up in this school district again!

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5


Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
News
Opinion
Entertainment
Sports
Services
Classifieds
Records
Discussions
Community
Help
Forms
Neighbors

HomeTerms of UsePrivacy StatementAdvertiseStaff DirectoryHelp
© vindy.com. All rights reserved. A service of The Vindicator.
107 Vindicator Square. Youngstown, OH 44503

Phone Main: 330.747.1471 • Interactive Advertising: 330.740.2955 • Classified Advertising: 330.746.6565
Sponsored Links: Vindy Wheels | Vindy Jobs | Vindy Homes