Discussion Groups: Stories

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: E.J. Blott Elementary to celebrate success
Posted by: Education Voter (IP Logged)
Date: August 18, 2007 12:46AM

How about some "accountability" from parochial and Christian schools? Did you know they don't have to take these tests at all, except the very last one -- the Ohio Graduation Test? The kids who have vouchers have to take the tests, but where are their scores posted in the paper?

For that matter, what is the "accountability" for the "Independent Schools", the charters? Now that they have all scored in "Academic Watch" or lower for 10 years, will there be any sanctions for them?

Oh Nooooo. Their students are not eligible for vouchers! What a surprise...not...from our wonderful Republican Legislature. How do they all fit in David Brennan's back pocket? His fat wallet must have stretched it out enough.

to: Another Catholic Mom
Posted by: Y-town Teacher (IP Logged)
Date: August 19, 2007 12:29PM

To Another Catholic Mom:
You say:
" couldn't agree more...this is such an abuse of a system that was designed to help children in mostly inner city school districts that CONSISTENTLY failed to meet their achievement standards. In my opinion, it is no different than welfare fraud or abuse of workers compensation! I know parents that have moved their children out of parochial schools and into a "failing" school district for three or four months just so they would be eligible for a voucher the following school year-all at the taxpayers expense."

Welcome to my world. Now think about taking one more step...to the truth. The Youngstown teachers didn't do anything wrong to cause the low scores there either.

Our students make at least a year's growth in a year. Since they started a little behind, the year's growth never brings them up to "the standard". "The standard" means all kids are supposed to grow in lockstep. Ask your pediatrician if this makes any sense. Or whether fact that you are performing at high second grade level when you are in beginning third grade makes any difference at all by the time you are grown.

No one wants to hear from a teacher, just because of taxes, whether we tell the truth or not.

Posted by: Christian Mom (IP Logged)
Date: August 20, 2007 10:16PM

Catholic Mom,

My children have always attended Liberty schools and are doing great. The teachers are all wonderful and I never considered getting a voucher and sending them to another school. How proud your children will be when they find out that you were willing to sacrifice the education of the Liberty students for them. How much money will you be stealing every year so that you don't have to pay for their tuition? Exactly how many days during the 2006-2007 school year did they attend Liberty school? I guess that's the defference between Christian and Catholic. God must be so proud!!!

Posted by: Ytown (IP Logged)
Date: August 20, 2007 11:21PM

Please Christian Mom don't lump all of us Catholics together!! I think what that woman has done is deplorable, and not necessarily a Catholic trait. And to think she was bragging about it, How shameful, I hope she confesses that before going to Mass again, if she goes to Mass.

Date: August 20, 2007 11:39PM

Ytown Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Please Christian Mom don't lump all of us
> Catholics together!! I think what that woman has
> done is deplorable, and not necessarily a Catholic
> trait. And to think she was bragging about it,
> How shameful, I hope she confesses that before
> going to Mass again, if she goes to Mass.

Please forgive the misunderstanding. I was not trying to direct my quote to Catholics, just Catholic Mom. She made a point of naming herself "Catholic Mom" and then bragging about her behavior. Maybe she should attend church more or change he name!!!!

Posted by: ytown (IP Logged)
Date: August 21, 2007 12:12AM

agreed!!

Youngstown Christian School
Posted by: Town Teacher (IP Logged)
Date: August 21, 2007 01:26PM

Well, it's not just Catholics anyway. The big winners in Youngstown have been the parents at Youngstown Christian School. Lots of kids with vouchers there. They just have the sense to keep their mouths shut.
Now, in this case, the school district really was driven into debt.

Posted by: Catholic Mom (IP Logged)
Date: August 21, 2007 10:25PM

Wow...I just got back from visiting my grandchildren in Texas, and see how badly I led you astray. I surely didn't mean to.
Yes, I am a mom, and have been a Catholic all my life.(So i am a Catholic Mom) Did my kids ever go to Liberty, or for that matter, in Ohio? No. Hubs and I relocated here in '98 long after the kids were grown and married. Here? It was for work, but I think Liberty is very pretty where we live.
I apologize for making the reply sound like I was a parent in the school. I am not. Too wrinkled now to pass. But, neighbors and a coworker have done this...used the voucher. The kids went there, and some went all year, some went two years, and two went since January.
I more or less posted this as a comment out of interest as what happens next, then saw how men spirited it sounded.
Do I agree with those that did this? Knowing the financial sacrifice tuition can be to some families, I can see why it happened. I don't agree or disagree. Just find it interesting.

Posted by: Town Teacher (IP Logged)
Date: August 21, 2007 10:33PM

It is true that this truly tests the ethics of individual families, and is mostly the fault of the state legislature.

In the case of Youngstown Christian, you have founders who also started a charter school for those who couldn't afford tuition: Eagle Heights Academy. Now kids in the public schools can get vouchers to go directly to Youngstown Christian Academy, but kids in their own charter school can't, no matter how poor the achievement test scores were for that school. (And they were worse than the public schools'.)

Catholic Mom, radical Muslims are using charter schools and vouchers to go to radical schools in New York. Are you okay with that?

Date: August 22, 2007 10:04AM

Cathilic Mom,

Even though you say your neighbors and co-workers did not send their kids to Liberty schools just to get the vouchers, that they indeed were long time students there, why did they decide to switch schools? Did they truely believe that the voucher was going to give their child a better education? Last year, 2 of my children were given the test that is causing all the trouble, and they both tested advanced in all sections. My problem with the whole voucher program is that these parents think that by changing schools, their child will learn more and get better grades, a better education. It takes more than the school system to accomplish this. It takes parents too. You can't put all the blame on a school system for your child's poor grades. Parents should take more responsibility. You stated "what they fail to mention is all the Catholic kids who came in during the year who tested with the less educated public school kids and raised the scores". If this is truely the case, that Liberty got an "effective" designation because we had the help of the "Catholic" kids that transferred in, then the schools that will now be accepting the vouchers from our poor "uneducated" Liberty students will have the same problem, lower scores! Give me a break!!!!! Liberty student are just as bright as those "Catholic" kids you mentioned. Their parents just chose public schools instead of parocial. Liberty teachers are wonderful!! They go out of their way to help their kids. They come in early, stay late and everything else they can to help their students succeed. What they need most is the support of the community, not parents that blame them for their child's poor test scores. Taking away funds from the school in the form of a voucher is going in the wrong direction for our school.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
News
Opinion
Entertainment
Sports
Services
Classifieds
Records
Discussions
Community
Help
Forms
Neighbors

HomeTerms of UsePrivacy StatementAdvertiseStaff DirectoryHelp
© vindy.com. All rights reserved. A service of The Vindicator.
107 Vindicator Square. Youngstown, OH 44503

Phone Main: 330.747.1471 • Interactive Advertising: 330.740.2955 • Classified Advertising: 330.746.6565
Sponsored Links: Vindy Wheels | Vindy Jobs | Vindy Homes