Discussion Groups: Stories

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: E.J. Blott Elementary to celebrate success
Posted by: The Good Mom (IP Logged)
Date: August 22, 2007 10:37AM

I agree with letsseewho!!! Most of the parents who yanked their children out of Catholic schools for the valtures are not poor and struggling people!!! My husband and I work very hard to provide a Catholic education for are child. Not that anything is wrong with the Liberty school systems we just prefer to have our childs educationinclude God. What these parents did to their children makes me sick. How they could ever say they did it in the best vintrest of their children is B.S. They did it to be cheap! How`pround their children will be when they find out cars, new jewlery, and vacations were more important then they were. That is why some of the parents applied for the valtures!!!

Posted by: ChristianMom (IP Logged)
Date: August 22, 2007 10:43AM

In case anyone was wondering, as I was, I went to the EdChoice website to find out how long the vouchers were good for. It says that the vouchers are only available to students whose school district has been in an academic emergency for 2 out of the last 3 years. This means that Liberty will not be getting vouchers next year if we score effective or above next year.

Date: August 22, 2007 11:15AM

Hey, just talked to the Ohio Department of Education. No new vouchers will be granted to the schools that are no longer in academic emergency or watch, but those vouchers that were given can be renewed till graduation. But don't get too happy those of you that transferred your kids to Liberty just to get the voucher. They are very aware of who you are. They know exactly how many kids were "late enrollees". Your kids vouchers were flagged and they (the ODE) are tryin to get the legislation changed and you may loose them. They told me that they knew when the program was started that the old school switcheroo might be a problem, but they had no idea how bad it could be, untill they saw what happened at Liberty. Maybe the powers that be aren't as stupid as you thought!!!!!

Posted by: Catholic Teacher (IP Logged)
Date: August 22, 2007 04:50PM

Good job ChristianMom! How did you do this? The same thing happened in our neighborhood school in Youngstown. I hope these kids' names are flagged too.

The previous poster was right. My child has excellent scores. If the school's average score is low, it is because the public school serves many more people from a greater variety of backgrounds. We are proud of our school too. It's insulting that the state ever thought this was a good idea. The Catholic School students are sent back to us very quickly as soon as they have any disability, with the reasoning that we have more expertise.

Congratulations to "Good Mom". She understands that a committment to Catholic School should be a committment to prayer and the Church -- not a way to enhance your status.

Date: August 22, 2007 06:47PM

I didn't do anything. The ODE was watching the schools to see if this would be a problem. They said that even in the larger cities, this was not a problem, only in Liberty. What does this say about our community. That our area has been tarnished by a few dishonest parents. They know exactly how many parents did this!

Posted by: Education Voter (IP Logged)
Date: August 22, 2007 09:53PM

This incident, sad as it is, does not happen only in our area. The difference here was that Capri Cafaro, and our other legislators made noise in Columbus that other representatives didn't. This time she "did good."

The fact that the ODE would say it is not a problem in the larger cities concerns me. This is bold face lying. Youngstown complained about the influx of students in May last year. It is hard for a school to meet the needs of twenty new kids in the last four weeks of school.

Posted by: Another mother (IP Logged)
Date: August 22, 2007 10:33PM

Well, I agree, all the schools have good teachers. It's rare to get a 'bad ' teacher in my opinion. But in order for schools to get good ratings, and in order for kids to test well, etc, parental involvement is crucial. When you have no parental backup, you don't have a kid who learns as well in my opinion, whatever that amounts to.

Posted by: Catholic Teacher (IP Logged)
Date: August 22, 2007 11:46PM

So what are the ratings? An expensive way to pass judgment on communities? So far they are directly correlated to data like new housing developments and income in a community. Does it feel that good to claim superiority over impoverished families?

They pretty much tell us what we already know. For instance, the Dayton School System slipped back into Academic Watch after two years in Continuous Improvement. The employees are distraught. Does anyone really think they didn't work just as hard this year? As much as some want to deny it, we can expect that poor inner city children will struggle with THE TEST.

If anything, I think it would be a good idea to have less test prep practice and more children turning in reports and written work. This was the kind of thing in which Liberty used to excell.

Date: August 23, 2007 09:19AM

Education Voter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This incident, sad as it is, does not happen only
> in our area. The difference here was that Capri
> Cafaro, and our other legislators made noise in
> Columbus that other representatives didn't. This
> time she "did good."
>
> The fact that the ODE would say it is not a
> problem in the larger cities concerns me. This is
> bold face lying. Youngstown complained about the
> influx of students in May last year. It is hard
> for a school to meet the needs of twenty new kids
> in the last four weeks of school.

Let me be more specific. When they said larger cities, they meant Columbus and Cleveland. The lady I spoke with did not mention Youngstown. Because Liberty is way smaller in comparison to those cities, the amount of students that transfered to get the vouchers was very noticeable.

Posted by: Catholic Too (IP Logged)
Date: August 23, 2007 10:52AM

You are stupid....the scores for mid-year enrollments were not counted in the test scores.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
News
Opinion
Entertainment
Sports
Services
Classifieds
Records
Discussions
Community
Help
Forms
Neighbors

HomeTerms of UsePrivacy StatementAdvertiseStaff DirectoryHelp
© vindy.com. All rights reserved. A service of The Vindicator.
107 Vindicator Square. Youngstown, OH 44503

Phone Main: 330.747.1471 • Interactive Advertising: 330.740.2955 • Classified Advertising: 330.746.6565
Sponsored Links: Vindy Wheels | Vindy Jobs | Vindy Homes