Discussion Groups: Stories

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: E.J. Blott Elementary to celebrate success
Posted by: Catholic Teacher (IP Logged)
Date: August 24, 2007 04:57PM

Thanks Catholic Too. Let me slap my brain for not noticing that mistake during this whole discussion. I'll verify that fact. Only the scores of students who enter before some point in the winter are counted toward their current school's total.

The Blott students did it all on their own.

Posted by: ChristianMom (IP Logged)
Date: August 24, 2007 08:36PM

Yes they did. My children came home everyday with loads of extra work that we as parents were supposed to do with them. We were to watch them work the problems and mark any that they had trouble with. Then the teachers were able to have each student focus on the areas that they were specifically having trouble with. I think it was a very good idea. There should be more parent involvement. I bet next time Liberty is tested, we score much higher!!

Posted by: Catholic Mom (IP Logged)
Date: August 24, 2007 08:58PM

I really do hope that is true. That is what I was trying to say (but still haven't tackled the nuances to posting on a board at my age..haha) and i am glad to find out that it was the real Liberty kids that did it.
Good for them, the teachers, and the parents too. The parents are their children's best advocate.
My best to all of you.

Posted by: Rhonda (IP Logged)
Date: August 25, 2007 09:02AM

Only if religious schools meet the high standards of inclusion and faculty training required of public schools should they receive taxpayer money through vouchers, tax deductions for tuition, or as charters. This is not going to happen, because to do so would undermine such schools’ stated purpose: providing a religious education.

The schools would have to practice open admission, which would mean not only educating students with minor behavioral or learning difficulties, but also serving those with physical or emotional disabilities, as well as providing the technology, special educators, and services they require.

Finally, there would have to be an objective way for religious schools to demonstrate that they were actually providing a quality education; there would have to be a standard of comparison.

If parents wish to give their children a religious education and can afford to pay for it, they have every right to do so. Otherwise, millions of children already receive their faith-based training outside of school hours, where it belongs under the U.S. Constitution: in the home and in religious communities of their parents’ choice.

However, in our area, taxpayers provide vouchers --and even fully fund charter schools like Eagle Heights and Legacy Academy, which were founded by ministers. it strains credulity to think that a religious-based school would not directly or indirectly encourage religious practice. Why be a religious school otherwise?

Until religious schools function with the inclusiveness and accountability required of public schools, they should not receive taxpayer money, which makes them public schools

Posted by: ChristianMom (IP Logged)
Date: August 25, 2007 04:44PM

Amen!! And just think, those religious schools had to have known what was going on. When long time students of their school were pulled out at the end of last school year, and then re-enrolled, they welcomed them back with open arms, no questions asked. I guess as long as they were getting their tuition they didn't care where it was coming from or how it was obtained. What an example to the public. They teach religious principles but don't practice them.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2007 07:15PM by ChristianMom.

Date: August 25, 2007 08:59PM

ChristanMom,
You really are innocent. Know? They TOLD those students to go get the vouchers. But ChristianMom, that was a lot of temptation for them. How about the legislature? I don't think it is the Liberty private schools that they want to help. It is the big schools in the big cities.

Posted by: Where do you get your info? (IP Logged)
Date: August 26, 2007 01:51AM

The Catholic schools DID NOT tell anyone to go out and get the vouchers!!! Even if they did how do you know??? The school my child goes to frowned upon it. They were very unhappy with what those parents did and still are.

Come on do you really think they would not let them come back? Then what, have someone file a lawsuit agianst the for discrimanation.

Trust me the Liberty parents that are paying for there childrens education know each and every parent that pulled there kids out mid year and are getting a free ride cuz they cheated the system. We have no respect for them.

Date: August 26, 2007 10:17AM

I don't know about Liberty. In Youngstown, the idea was suggested to my family by the principal of a Catholic School. Believe me, I know how tempting it is.

Posted by: No temptation here! (IP Logged)
Date: August 27, 2007 01:45AM

I did not find it tempting at all. As a matter of fact it never crossed my mind! My child's well being is number 1 to me. If I have to go without something for the sake of my child no problem. When we did our family planing we knew our child would go to a catholic school not matter where we lived or how hard we would have to work to get him there. I never though about cheating the system for a free ride.

Sorry you felt temptation!

Posted by: thank your legislators (IP Logged)
Date: August 27, 2007 10:06AM

Where do you get your info? Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Catholic schools DID NOT tell anyone to go out
> and get the vouchers!!! Even if they did how do
> you know??? The school my child goes to frowned
> upon it. They were very unhappy with what those
> parents did and still are.
>
> Come on do you really think they would not let
> them come back? Then what, have someone file a
> lawsuit agianst the for discrimanation.
>
> Trust me the Liberty parents that are paying for
> there childrens education know each and every
> parent that pulled there kids out mid year and are
> getting a free ride cuz they cheated the system.
> We have no respect for them.

I doubt whether they care about you not respecting them. They now have a paid parochial school education for their child all the way through hs. And you know what it costs to send a child to Ursuline or Mooney these days. So our state legislators have essentially taken our tax dollars to pay for religious education. And most people don't care because they have bought into the lie that public education, particularly urban public education, is a big failure. The teachers don't teach, the schools are in chaos, test scores prove that no learning is taking place, etc.

Why don't we just switch those outstanding Boardman, Poland and Canfield teachers to the Ytown and Liberty schools that are failing and let them bring those scores up. I would love to teach in the suburbs just one year. Maybe I'd have enough energy left at the end of the day to work that second job that I need since I'm not going to have a raise for the next 3 years.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
News
Opinion
Entertainment
Sports
Services
Classifieds
Records
Discussions
Community
Help
Forms
Neighbors

HomeTerms of UsePrivacy StatementAdvertiseStaff DirectoryHelp
© vindy.com. All rights reserved. A service of The Vindicator.
107 Vindicator Square. Youngstown, OH 44503

Phone Main: 330.747.1471 • Interactive Advertising: 330.740.2955 • Classified Advertising: 330.746.6565
Sponsored Links: Vindy Wheels | Vindy Jobs | Vindy Homes