facebook twitter RSS

Discussion Groups: Stories

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Current Page: 13 of 13
Re: Chaney, East still plagued by violence
Posted by: Dear Panther (IP Logged)
Date: January 20, 2008 11:42AM

I'm glad to hear that things a East are going well. I was sorry to hear of its closing a few years ago and am happy for its rebirth. Most of the problems I hear about are on the other side of town.

Posted by: seriouslyme3396 (IP Logged)
Date: January 21, 2008 11:17AM

This is ridiculus. Everyone blaming others. These kids right now decided what they wanted too do. I don't care where you live or work,how much disciple you instill,the kids of today don't care. When I was growing up I knew that if I acted crazy my mom and dad would deal with me severly. They will take punishment like its nothing and still sell drugs, join gangs, make babies whatever they want.But rest assured when they get in trouble they look for us to help.

Posted by: Jennifer Lewis (IP Logged)
Date: January 21, 2008 05:59PM

With East doing well and Chaney having all of the problems, with the determined effort made by Wendy Webb to undermine discipline at Chaney, Chaney has become the undeclared alternative school already. It's a matter of time until Chaney is declared the high school alternative school.

Posted by: Question (IP Logged)
Date: January 24, 2008 05:25PM

Can the state close a school if it gets too dangerous?

Posted by: Jennifer Lewis (IP Logged)
Date: January 27, 2008 06:49AM

If the state closed Chaney because of the violence, where would the felons go? It would only make another school dangerous. What they need to do is to insist on the rules being enforced.

Posted by: not going to happen (IP Logged)
Date: January 28, 2008 08:54PM

The school needs security. It needs teachers in the halls. It needs two cops on the 1st floor, 2 on the second and 1 on the third. There aren't enough teachers to teach and monitor the halls at the same time.and the district will never pay for 5 full time cops. There won't be many good kids left there in september.

Posted by: This is becoming WAY to common (IP Logged)
Date: January 31, 2008 01:56AM

Youngstown is far from the only school system to have problems with violence. I read an article in Tuesday's Cleveland Plain Dealer about a fight at an ELEMENTARY School invovling 7th graders. It started with 2 girls, and then escaletd into 18 kids. The teacher was hit in the face with an object thrown by one of the students. And, on the SAME DAY, their was a fight at a Charter School in Cleveland, which spread out onto the Street (Euclid Avenue). Earlier in the year their was a shooting at a School just outside downtown Cleveland.

The person who stated that kids of today do NOT listen, and intend to do whatever they please, whenever they please has hit the nail on the head. Part of the blame for this goes to the parents, who in many cases have even less disregard for peole in authority and less respect for others than do their children. In many school districts(not just inner city), teachers are pretty much handcuffed in their ability to effectively discipline students. Parents are definately different now than 20 years ago, and the result is kids who are totally out of control. Not ALL kids, but enough to cause major problems.

Making this fight at the K-8 school even worse is that one of the girls who started the fight is 14 years old, and has been arrested before. She was arrested and charged with juvenile theft, stolen property and escape in a previous incident. And, the 14 year old boy who entered the fight also has a prior record. He has been charged with juvenile theft and assault. These kids are 14 years old, in the 7th grade and they already have a HISTORY of being caught committing crimes. Their is something very sad about all of this.

Here is a link to the article about the most recent violence in Cleveand.

[www.cleveland.com]
"A fight between two girls in a seventh grade Cleveland schools art class grew into a riot Tuesday, with the teacher being injured by a book thrown at her.

Up to 18 of the 30 students in the class could face juvenile aggravated rioting charges, police said."...

..." Robert K. Fulton School, on East 140th Street near Kinsman Road, has about 320 students in kindergarten through eighth grade. Records show two dozen serious incidents since the start of the school year, including five attacks on teachers, five against students and one on a security officer."...

..."In an unrelated incident, police were called earlier in the day to Hope Academy High School, a charter school in the 3100 block of Euclid Avenue, after two boys, ages 15 and 17, fought about 11:15 a.m. The fight spilled out onto Euclid Avenue and blocked traffic, police said.

Two other males, 18 and 16, jumped in, police said. The 18-year-old was arrested and charged with rioting and criminal activities on school grounds. The three younger boys were arrested and face juvenile counts of the same charges."

Posted by: it's all over (IP Logged)
Date: February 01, 2008 10:02PM

Most inner city schools are the same. For years Chaney had been an exception. It could have lasted but it was not prepared for the culture shock of this year. With close by options parents had a simple way of dealing with the problem. Leave. Those who chose to leave had concern for their children's safety, education, or the behaviors they were being exposed to. They also had the means to leave. Given the summer to work things out, more will find ways to leave by September. Much of the west side already attends Ursuline, McDonald, or Austintown. Westsiders no longer feel connected to the school. Maybe it could be sold, turned it into a private or charter school or some kind of office space. Could the district actually make a profit on something like that?

Posted by: Dr. Doom (IP Logged)
Date: February 02, 2008 12:49AM

Its amazing that there continues to be discussion on this topic after all this time. Many have made foolish and/or hateful observations but its obvious that many who have contributed lately have some understanding of what is going on with the reasons for it. One thing we can expect is that the more severe problems of larger urban settings, like Cleveland,will eventually come here. In my life, I can remember when we thought mugging and car-jacking were peculiar to New York City. We also did not know the blackboard jungle would occur on the West side. Although there are many reasons for the breakdown, I can't help wondering if there was some degree of intention in what has happened. Some years back the current leader made a hostile declaration to the then predominately white administrative staff about how she was sick of them and if they didn't like the situation they better just get used to it because "the little black kids are coming!" Maybe there has been a lot of resentment in some circles toward the predominately white schools on the west side. Later she declared her outburst was an expression of biological stress. A lot of the staff sitting in that meeting did not see her prediction come true because they considered their chances of advancement to be poor and took jobs in other districts. Does it help these kids for adults to take the attitude that the decline in behavior and academics is inevitable? Cultural? Understandable? I think the outrage generally expressed is out of concerns for the community and the kids themselves. The people who declare Youngstown a cesspool, etc. are of course not in the group of genuinely concerned people. I don't know the environment where the new behaviors lead to success. The outcome on the street seems poor with most of the district's violent students appearing in the paper sooner or later due to arrest or death. Its really just a different kind of fire that destroys these teens. Are the kids throwing away there lives to make the point that the larger society can't control them? Hows that working for them?

Current Page: 13 of 13

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
News
Opinion
Entertainment
Sports
Services
Classifieds
Records
Discussions
Community
Help
Forms
Neighbors

HomeTerms of UsePrivacy StatementAdvertiseStaff DirectoryHelp
© vindy.com. All rights reserved. A service of The Vindicator.
107 Vindicator Square. Youngstown, OH 44503

Phone Main: 330.747.1471 • Interactive Advertising: 330.740.2955 • Classified Advertising: 330.746.6565
Sponsored Links: Vindy Wheels | Vindy Jobs | Vindy Homes