facebook twitter RSS

Discussion Groups: Stories

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Current Page: 12 of 13
Re: Chaney, East still plagued by violence
Posted by: grim reaper (IP Logged)
Date: January 13, 2008 10:05AM

> many, or maybe most, of the people who would be effective in doing this have decided to be effective somewhere else.

Sadly, I think Youngstown is making it's death rattle, it's dying (some would say already dead) and nothing can stop it. The people who could have saved the city fled or were driven out. The ones who are still trying (like Jennifer Lewis) are too few. The rest of the MV will follow soon. It's already started in Boardman and Austintown.

Move, if you can.

Posted by: Proud Panther (IP Logged)
Date: January 13, 2008 11:46AM

No, East is not plagued with violence. Learning is going on at East. I am proud of East. The administration is on target. They work extremely hard
to make the school safe. The teachers, including myself, work hard also.
We care about our students and they know it. This forum needs to stop stressing the negatives of the city school system and look at the positives. Perhaps I need to start a forum that supports our schools. Please remember that our system on a daily basis gets students from private, charter schools and open enrollment voucher schools who toss students out of their schools who are discipline problems and send them to the city schools because we must accept them. We deal with problems and are making great progress. The public is unaware of the positive things that are happing in the YCS.

Posted by: Dear Panther (IP Logged)
Date: January 13, 2008 02:07PM

Good point. I think you are hearing here mostly from Chaney people. This year was a major shock. No matter what part of town they lived in, Chaney students, parents, and faculty took a lot of pride in that school. I think they believe it is now to be eliminated in favor of a single high school, East.

Posted by: Why? (IP Logged)
Date: January 14, 2008 10:30PM

It is evident by the turn out at the board meeting, that except for Jennifer Lewis, there is no community involvement. This is why Chaney will continue to slide, as planned, until it becomes a junior high or the new JJC. I am totally surprised at the apathy of the West-Siders. One person (who is not a west side resident) cannot do your work. Jennifer: you have fought the good fight....but it appears people are too busy to protect their children or even their home values.

Posted by: Jennifer Lewis (IP Logged)
Date: January 15, 2008 12:53AM

Thank you, Why. I'm quite frankly disgusted by the lack of turnout for the board meeting. With multiple posters encouraging people to show up for the meeting, I'm the only one who was there to speak for the children. The two teachers who came weren't able to speak up because of their jobs, but at least they were there. I still consider all the kids who went to Jackson while I worked there "my" kids, so I spoke up for "my" kids, even though my daughter isn't going to be in the district next year. Words cannot express how sad I am that none of the actual parents of "my" kids cared enough to be there.

Posted by: Question (IP Logged)
Date: January 18, 2008 06:54PM

If a student commits an act requiring them to be taken away in handcuffs (arrested or ticketed for disorderly conduct), will that become public record? If so, how can someone access that record?

Posted by: from what I hear (IP Logged)
Date: January 18, 2008 08:16PM

I hear (not confirmed) that Spendy has some type of deal with the Juvenile Court, where she (Spendy), gets the final say as to whether the case proceeds or gets dropped. Sorta like she is "da judge"....Just what I hear...... maybe it's sort of a political mystery.......You know: one grant helps the other.

Is Dellick still there? Oh yea was that her truancy grant that was in effect for what ..... one day? Got great press by the Vindi! That's done...great job. Clueless community applauds, and votes yes.

Besides, someone has to babysit these poor kids. Who is better qualified than the teacher? lol

Date: January 18, 2008 11:25PM

Question Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If a student commits an act requiring them to be
> taken away in handcuffs (arrested or ticketed for
> disorderly conduct), will that become public
> record? If so, how can someone access that record?

If the student is a minor, you will not learn their name. If the student is 18, their name can be put into public record and/or published.

Posted by: Dear Jen (IP Logged)
Date: January 19, 2008 08:26AM

I'm not interested in the kids names, just in how many acts of violence have occured.

Date: January 20, 2008 04:19AM

The reported ones are public information. Unreported ones, of course, are not. I think you can call the police to find out about it, but maybe doing a search here on Vindy would be easier. You could google it, but the hits from that are bound to be overwhelming.

Current Page: 12 of 13

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
News
Opinion
Entertainment
Sports
Services
Classifieds
Records
Discussions
Community
Help
Forms
Neighbors

HomeTerms of UsePrivacy StatementAdvertiseStaff DirectoryHelp
© vindy.com. All rights reserved. A service of The Vindicator.
107 Vindicator Square. Youngstown, OH 44503

Phone Main: 330.747.1471 • Interactive Advertising: 330.740.2955 • Classified Advertising: 330.746.6565
Sponsored Links: Vindy Wheels | Vindy Jobs | Vindy Homes