Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
If you want a job, give up cigarettes
Posted by: Vindy.com (IP Logged)
Date: October 22, 2007 03:17PM

Re: If you want a job, give up cigarettes
Posted by: Lars (IP Logged)
Date: October 22, 2007 03:17PM

This is what smokers wanted all along--a private business owner making a private business decision about his private business.

Remember what smokers said about restaurant waitstaff at smoke-filled restaurants? "If they don't like cigarette smoke, they don't have to work there. They have a choice."

Well, if smokers don't like their employer's policy on smoking, they don't have to work there. They have a choice. It's that simple.

If your employer subsidizes your healthcare, they he certainly has the right to test you for substances which could adversely affect his bottom line, whether those substances are legal or not. Shift healthcare to the government and the smoker's employer can no longer say he is costing him too much in healthcare.

Posted by: smart@$$ (IP Logged)
Date: October 22, 2007 03:43PM

A smoker can choose to not work for that employer.
But I wonder if I can test him too, since I subsidize his profits, am physically in his facility...I have the right to know what he puts in his body too.
I'd like the results of all public safety officials, elected officials, teachers, school board members, even you. If you're my neighbor, I have the right to know...
The cop that stops me at the OVI checkpoint, is he "under an influence" of any sorts. He should show me his papers too.
I think employers should have access to all intimate details of our medical records & vise versa, including any gene that may indicate his/my risk to all kinds of costly diseases. This should be PRIOR to hire, like the drug test thing! Wouldn't that be great?
Then if the government takes over healthcare, since we subsidize that, we should have complete & open access to everyones everything! Wouldn't that be great?
I think fat people should lose weight too, I'm tired of subsidizing their healthcare costs...

Posted by: Agree with Lars (IP Logged)
Date: October 22, 2007 07:14PM

Smokers are totally one sided. They think they have the right to pollute the air we all have to breathe. I am highly allergic to cigarette smoke. It makes me cough, sneeze, and gives me severe stomach and headaches. I can't stand going into a business and having a human cigarette butt come up to me with breath that curls my toes and the stench of smoke all over them. It is so disgusting. I used to put up with it, but anymore I just can't.

They are such a huge burden on the health care system.

Some companies already ban smokers. I hope all of them follow suit.

Posted by: My Company (IP Logged)
Date: October 22, 2007 08:26PM

My Company refuses to hire smokers. They instituted the policy about 2 years ago. Those who already worked there and still smoke have to leave the property to do so. It has made the back porch of the building so much more enjoyable without all the smoke and residue that made the area stench of cigarettes. The company also offers to pay for smoking cessation programs. It won't be long but I can see them eventually forcing smokers to pay a larger portion of their health care. I already get a discount for being part of a healthy living campaign. There are no good things to say about smoking. It has no health benefits, no nutritional value, and is simply a drain on the countries health care resources. It's a filthy habit to boot. I would never ever consider even dating a smoker. It wreaks!

Posted by: Anony (IP Logged)
Date: October 22, 2007 10:09PM

Fat people should be prohibited from working certain places too. They are the biggest cause (pun intended) of increasing health care costs than anyone else. WHat comes along with being fat? Diabetes, heart disease, knee and hip replacement, high blood pressure, and a laundry list of other diseases that cause the rest of us to pay higher and higher premiums for the costs those fat people incur. Health care premiums should be tiered based on weight or body mass. Im tired of paying for fat peoples health care. And dont give me the 'its not their fault they're fat' story. Yes it is. They can choose not to be gluttonous pigs just like smokers can choose not to smoke. I would rather work with a smoker than the 400 pound pig I had to sit by at work for 3 years. SHe ate at her desk all day long then would wonder why she wasnt 'losing weight'. STOP EATING.

Posted by: wow (IP Logged)
Date: October 23, 2007 12:13AM

Wow!! It must be amazing to be as perfect as you people! I could think of some adjectives too--besides fat, disgusting, pig, human cigarette butt, etc.

How about big mouth, opinionated, ignorant, arrogant, holier-than-thou, smug, etc.

By the way: I don't smoke and am not overweight, so don't go there!

Posted by: I luv the way (IP Logged)
Date: October 23, 2007 12:58AM

people change the subject from smoking cigarettes to obesity; like thats going to make smoking the lesser of two evils.

The problem with smoking is that one smoker could damage the health of a multitude of people whereas an obese person will only hurt themselves.

Posted by: Obesity on point here. (IP Logged)
Date: October 23, 2007 04:20PM

Obesity is totally relavent in THIS instance. The obese person will cost a company more money for health insurance and sick leave. Therefore, businesses should be allowed to deny people employment based on their weight. You can control your weight if you want to. If you want the job----LOSE WEIGHT!!!

Posted by: peeterpuffer (IP Logged)
Date: October 23, 2007 04:25PM

"The problem with smoking is that one smoker could damage the health of a multitude of people whereas an obese person will only hurt themselves."

If I smoke in my car or house, how? If I smoke in a business that caters to smokers, how? How about booze? That hurts more people too. PROHIBITION!!

Fat people make ALL our health care costs rise & they are hurting others too, high blood pressure, sugar...cholesterol levels...trans-fatty oil bans...helmet & seatbelt laws...

These nanny laws just go too far & idiots like you fundamentalist do-gooder non-smokers, vote for MORE legislation.
Like this stripper bill that's next.
PROHIBITION!!PROHIBITION!!PROHIBITION!! Ohio, the no fun state. Bring back the Victorian Age, idiots.
Smoking today, football tomorrow...it hurts people too.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
News
Opinion
Entertainment
Sports
Services
Classifieds
Records
Discussions
Community
Help
Forms
Neighbors

HomeTerms of UsePrivacy StatementAdvertiseStaff DirectoryHelp
© vindy.com. All rights reserved. A service of The Vindicator.
107 Vindicator Square. Youngstown, OH 44503

Phone Main: 330.747.1471 • Interactive Advertising: 330.740.2955 • Classified Advertising: 330.746.6565
Sponsored Links: Vindy Wheels | Vindy Jobs | Vindy Homes