facebook twitter RSS

Discussion Groups: Stories

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: If you want a job, give up cigarettes
Posted by: Not completely true (IP Logged)
Date: October 23, 2007 04:28PM

Obesity on point here. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Obesity is totally relavent in THIS instance. The
> obese person will cost a company more money for
> health insurance and sick leave. Therefore,
> businesses should be allowed to deny people
> employment based on their weight. You can control
> your weight if you want to. If you want the
> job----LOSE WEIGHT!!!

That's not completely true, there are people who have metabolic or other issues that cause obesity. Also, can you guarantee that the overweight person will cost the company more? A friend of mine who I work with looks the picture of health. Yet, in the last 5 years, he's had 2 heart attacks, colon cancer, and numerous other health issues. He's 52. I'm perhaps 30 pounds overwight and healthy as can be. But he used to smoke and I never did. He's cost the company hundreds of thousands and I've cost them almost nothing.

Posted by: It IS True (IP Logged)
Date: October 23, 2007 05:12PM

When obese people have the "stomach stapling" surgery----they ALL lose weight. Their food intake is limited after the surgery---something they couldn't do with will power alone. Also, I am a 54 year old smoker, I have never cost my employer a dime for any health problems, or missed work. My father was also a smoker, he never missed work either. A fat girl I work with is always out on sick leave. Pneumonia, heart problems, foot surgery, on and on-----and-----she is a nonsmoker and younger than I am. So much for "health profiling".

Posted by: Another Civil Liberty Bites the Dust (IP Logged)
Date: October 23, 2007 05:26PM

The only thing that second hand smoke kills is your liberty. Please, this is a completely bias study, and holds no concrete evidence in reality. It's a great scare tatic to use, which happens a lot in this country. Just educate yourself and read!!! Hey, even starting with Skeptic Magazine will help.

It's a down right terrifying society we are converting into. Hitlor must have come back from the grave to run the country.

Hmmm...where did all of our civil liberties go? Maybe they were outsourced to foreign countries, or maybe they died on 9/11, perhaps they were stampeled on by our own government. They cound't have went to illegal immigrants - we already fully support slave labor in this country.

Where oh where did they go?

Civil liberties are dead in this country. Our freedoms are slowing slipping through our finger tips and one day it will effect each and every American citizen in this "so called" land of the free.

Posted by: Unreal (IP Logged)
Date: October 23, 2007 06:05PM

This is just so unreal, that someone can't get a job because they smoke? Give me Break, costing companies more money on health insurance! (if they do smoke, they pay enough a month for insurance, what is the difference?) But if you have a Great Person for the job there hiring for, and won't give them a job because they smoke, so they hire a cheaper worker, and pay them less? Not really fair is it? And alot of companies now, which I agree with, make smokers go in there cars or off the property, and that don't effect the stupid people who say second hand smoke is going to kill me! (just looking for a lawsuit, that's all)
But with all the health issues NOT TESTED or looked upon on hiring someone, Diabetes, Obesity, HIV,Alcoholism, etc, and a good site to go to is [www.sa.psu.edu]
Not sure about the USA, BUT as it's going, NOONE has rights no more! And that is really sad! And very scary!

Posted by: please (IP Logged)
Date: October 23, 2007 06:31PM

Oh C'mom! Okay, what if I'm using the Nicotine Patch or Chewing Nicotine Gum??? There's always a loop-hole for us smokers! Is certainly a shame that OUR CHOICE turns into a 'work/health dictatorship'. And I see you diabetes people at work sneaking candy, shame shame, is that not a heath risk? And what about those lunch-time bar hoppers? Give us a break already, it's our nasty habit, we're not bothering you. And for the 'butt sniffer'......Go get your alergy shot...HEALTH RISKER!

Posted by: Fed Up (IP Logged)
Date: October 23, 2007 08:09PM

Blah, blah, blah. Just listen to all the pissing and moaning here. Guess what, folks? This is a PRIVATE business, and they can do as they damn well please in regards to who they do and do not hire.

Don't like it? Then, DON'T APPLY FOR A JOB THERE.

Criminy! It's just that simple!

Posted by: Hey Fed Up (IP Logged)
Date: October 24, 2007 03:48AM

I don't like Blacks, Jews, Dagos, Gooks, or Spics---so I do not have to hire them!!! Glad you people are finally seeing things MY way!! Archie Bunker.

Posted by: K. Paso (IP Logged)
Date: October 24, 2007 08:22AM

Insurance is big money business. They brain wash you (read all comments) to believe smoking and weight are expensive risk factors. Insurance costs skyrocket. They spend millions to advertise this to conveince us it's true.

Now turn to the finance section of the news. That VERY SAME insurance firm that just raised YOUR rates because of smoking and weight has now reported ANOTHER record breaking profit.

Back off on that smoker. Back off on that overweight co-worker. You are being lied to and tricked in the name of money and greed.

Posted by: Me (IP Logged)
Date: October 24, 2007 09:12AM

I personally see this as taking away people's freedom! You know what America is built on. I don't think a business should be able to do that at all. I argee with the no smoking in public places. I also believe that Business owners are using this to put more money in their own pockets. It's all Politics!

Posted by: R T J (IP Logged)
Date: October 24, 2007 11:02AM

mayde someone can expain this to me???? a person who has a PRIVATE BUSINESS wishes to descriminate,yes not hireing someone for anything else other then qualifications is descrimination, and not hire people who smoke is appauded and is told because it is his right since he owns the business.BUT a person who has a PRIVATE BUSINESS and smokeing in his PRIVATE BUSINESS is not an issue to him or her and allowes it is be in his PRIVATE BUSSINESS get fined,raked over the coles by you people,possible jail time ect.????????????? if what employer #2 does is against the law then because we are in the land of the free ( ha ha) employer # 1 should be peniltized allso.and just for the record i have seen obese employees cost the company more then smokers,missing work,lack of productivity,constant physical health problems,notice i said obese people not over weight...... there is a difference.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
News
Opinion
Entertainment
Sports
Services
Classifieds
Records
Discussions
Community
Help
Forms
Neighbors

HomeTerms of UsePrivacy StatementAdvertiseStaff DirectoryHelp
© vindy.com. All rights reserved. A service of The Vindicator.
107 Vindicator Square. Youngstown, OH 44503

Phone Main: 330.747.1471 • Interactive Advertising: 330.740.2955 • Classified Advertising: 330.746.6565
Sponsored Links: Vindy Wheels | Vindy Jobs | Vindy Homes