Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Councilman proposes roundabout for safety, better flow of traffic
Posted by: Vindy.com (IP Logged)
Date: December 03, 2007 11:53AM

Re: Councilman proposes roundabout for safety, better flow of traffic
Posted by: closedshop (IP Logged)
Date: December 03, 2007 11:53AM

What's the matter with those Poland people? They just won't be happy unless they stick some barriers up in the middle of 224!! What part of "DUMB IDEA" don't they understand?

Now they want to spend well over a half million dollars to construct a stupid roundabout, when for a fraction of that they could have a traffic light. Building a roundabout will mean buying private property from not only residents, but the Post Office as well. That's not going to be cheap.

And besides, the north half of 224 there belongs to Boardman - is anyone asking them what THEY want?

Posted by: RealTruth (IP Logged)
Date: December 03, 2007 12:13PM

Here we go --- I've lived in this general area for almost 50 years. Everybody knows they are entering a "small town" when they leave Boardman and head toward New Castle or New Middletown or Struthers. Where was the planning when they built the Poland Post Office? Why can't people access the side street? Why is the only exit 224?

I knew it was going to come to this when a Streetscape person was elected. They aren't going to ever let it rest.

Thankfully, I'm not the only person questionning these people. Does anyone know when the last accident occurred in this particular area?

Yes, I live in Poland Township. I grew up in Boardman and graduated from BHS. I've lived in Canfield, too.

Posted by: my $0.02 (IP Logged)
Date: December 03, 2007 01:43PM

I think it is a good idea and it will create jobs!

Posted by: You've got be kidding! (IP Logged)
Date: December 03, 2007 02:14PM

What makes this Couniclman think a "round a bout" will solve the problem!! As I see it,it will cause a tremendous amount of very confused people, resulting in an enormous increase in accidents. We have people driving now who have a hard enough time following the rules of driving and now you want to put in a "round a bout""! Just put a light up that is controlled by the traffic flow and forget about all this other nonsense!! Too bad they didn't do it when they originally built the Post Office!!

Date: December 03, 2007 03:36PM

It's frightening, isn't it? These are the people suggesting remedies for a supposed problem. The speed limit there is 25, so how can a "serious accident" happen? Again, don't they realize that a round thing in the middle of 224 will take away lanes needed for emergency vehicles. How can anybody suggest this plan with a straight face?

What's next? TREES and flowers in the middle of the round a bout?

Posted by: Poland (IP Logged)
Date: December 03, 2007 04:45PM

I think it is a great idea. I encountered roundabouts in the UK and found them to be very effective in moving large numbers of vehicles in a very safe manner. Perhaps some of the detractors would think differently if they had actual experience with roundabouts. Dublin, Ohio has several of them, and they are very easy to navigate. I applaud Mr. Heineman for his progressive thinking.

Date: December 03, 2007 06:18PM

Were these wonderful, progressive roadways put in BEFORE they were in the middle of main highways or after?

Posted by: CourtWatcher911 (IP Logged)
Date: December 03, 2007 06:19PM

Now I think I have heard it all. First the boulevard idea, which was shot down by everyone with an ounce of brains, and now a round-about? As stated earlier by ClosedShop, half that intersection is in Boardman Township, not Poland, and anything Poland does would affect them as well. Before creating a bunch of confused drivers, how about a little traffic survey to determine how many bad crashes have occurred at that intersection. As RealTruth put it, how COULD there be a serious accident with a 25 MPH speed limit which, everyone knows, is strongly enforced. The Post Office created this "problem" so let them solve it. Install traffic actuated lights, right turn only lanes from the post office, a side street exit, etc. Just go through the middle of Columbiana when there's heavy traffic and watch the confusion there. I say plant more trees in Monoxide Park down the road and leave the traffic patterns alone.

Posted by: Hate Em (IP Logged)
Date: December 03, 2007 07:08PM

They have roundaboutsat the lower end of Akron going into Portage County and Tallmadge. I hate them. When there's an accident in the roudabout you can be stuck there for hours. Plus, you have to just jump out there. What a stupid idea. Polad is just stupid.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
News
Opinion
Entertainment
Sports
Services
Classifieds
Records
Discussions
Community
Help
Forms
Neighbors

HomeTerms of UsePrivacy StatementAdvertiseStaff DirectoryHelp
© vindy.com. All rights reserved. A service of The Vindicator.
107 Vindicator Square. Youngstown, OH 44503

Phone Main: 330.747.1471 • Interactive Advertising: 330.740.2955 • Classified Advertising: 330.746.6565
Sponsored Links: Vindy Wheels | Vindy Jobs | Vindy Homes