Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Current Page: 1 of 16
Family views death as lesson for others
Posted by: Vindy.com (IP Logged)
Date: December 18, 2007 10:27AM

Re: Family views death as lesson for others
Posted by: gerrie (IP Logged)
Date: December 18, 2007 10:27AM

Marrisa was not safe in her high school nor in her own home. She is safe with God today.

Posted by: Boils down to (IP Logged)
Date: December 18, 2007 10:31AM

It all boils down to a society that not only accepts but promotes guns as a means to defend oneself. What the NRA doesn't tell you is that accidental deaths are far more prevalent than self defenses. Plus, most of the guns in the hands of criminals were originally legal guns that were stolen. Nearly all handguns start off as legally obtained.

Posted by: Gun Nut (IP Logged)
Date: December 18, 2007 11:17AM

Boils down to Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It all boils down to a society that not only
> accepts but promotes guns as a means to defend
> oneself. What the NRA doesn't tell you is that
> accidental deaths are far more prevalent than self
> defenses. Plus, most of the guns in the hands of
> criminals were originally legal guns that were
> stolen. Nearly all handguns start off as legally
> obtained.

ya might wanna read the article about how the shooter got a lower charge. Marissa's brother LEGALLY purchased the handgun as a means of self-defense for where he was living in Columbus, accidents happen, I'm not denying that, but this is not an accident, this is absolute, pure negligence. You might wanna get facts right before you go running your mouth. And as far as the NRA, they are one hundred percent absolutely correct, in today's society, you do need some form of a gun to protect yourself whether it be a handgun for carrying when you're out and about or a shotgun for home defense, the days of sitting back and doin nothing because people kept to themselves are OVER!

Posted by: knucles (IP Logged)
Date: December 18, 2007 11:28AM

You want to talk about the NRA but let's face the facts in this isssue. It's not the guns that kill, it's the people behind the trigger. In the Constitution of the United States of America there is a statement and it reads like the following; "Right To Bear Arms." This was a very tragic turn of events, however though it was truely an accident. I could see why everybody would be upset, if he went into the home with the intention to kill. Let's look at something that could be related. You wake up on a snowy morning, leave the comfort of your own home to go to work. Somewhere between your home and work. You cause an accident in your motor vehicle. In this situation a few are very seriously injured, or worse yet killed. Now should we take your drivers liscense away for the rest of your life, simply because an "Accident." The word accident is defined; An unforeseen and unplanned event or circumstance and/or lack of intention or necessity. I get so tired of these great church people who say the NRA is a bad thing. Well before you start to dog everybody else, I feel you need to evaluate what you have in your own closet first.

Date: December 18, 2007 11:30AM

knucles Wrote:
> You want to talk about the NRA but let's face the
> facts in this isssue. It's not the guns that kill,
> it's the people behind the trigger. In the
> Constitution of the United States of America there
> is a statement and it reads like the following;
> "Right To Bear Arms." This was a very tragic turn
> of events, however though it was truely an
> accident. I could see why everybody would be
> upset, if he went into the home with the intention
> to kill. Let's look at something that could be
> related. You wake up on a snowy morning, leave the
> comfort of your own home to go to work. Somewhere
> between your home and work. You cause an accident
> in your motor vehicle. In this situation a few are
> very seriously injured, or worse yet killed. Now
> should we take your drivers liscense away for the
> rest of your life, simply because an "Accident."
> The word accident is defined; An unforeseen and
> unplanned event or circumstance and/or lack of
> intention or necessity. I get so tired of these
> great church people who say the NRA is a bad
> thing. Well before you start to dog everybody
> else, I feel you need to evaluate what you have in
> your own closet first.

finally somebody that i can agree with, i thought for sure this Valley was doomed, thank you for proving me wrong

Posted by: terrible (IP Logged)
Date: December 18, 2007 11:32AM

I agree with knucles...

It is a horrible, terribly tragic thing to have happen, but it was an accident in the truest sense of the word. It seems the family and the police realize this. Our prayers go out to all involved.

Posted by: Boils down to (IP Logged)
Date: December 18, 2007 12:04PM

Gun Nut Wrote:
> Boils down to Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It all boils down to a society that not only
> > accepts but promotes guns as a means to defend
> > oneself. What the NRA doesn't tell you is that
> > accidental deaths are far more prevalent than
> self
> > defenses. Plus, most of the guns in the hands
> of
> > criminals were originally legal guns that were
> > stolen. Nearly all handguns start off as
> legally
> > obtained.
>
>
> ya might wanna read the article about how the
> shooter got a lower charge. Marissa's brother
> LEGALLY purchased the handgun as a means of
> self-defense for where he was living in Columbus,
> accidents happen, I'm not denying that, but this
> is not an accident, this is absolute, pure
> negligence. You might wanna get facts right
> before you go running your mouth. And as far as
> the NRA, they are one hundred percent absolutely
> correct, in today's society, you do need some form
> of a gun to protect yourself whether it be a
> handgun for carrying when you're out and about or
> a shotgun for home defense, the days of sitting
> back and doin nothing because people kept to
> themselves are OVER!

Did you even understand my post? Guns aren't making us safer. They are causing unneeded deaths like this. Thousands of them. All sold to us by crazed gun toters who seem to need the machismo that guns provide. There is a reason why crime and accidental handgun deaths are lower throughout the rest of the civilized world. It's organizations like the NRA who sell the 2nd amendment for what is wasn't meant to be. It's not for a civilized society to be proliferated with handguns.

The more guns in society, the more negligent accidental deaths we are going to see. If that doesn't bother you, then by all means buy some more. The way I figure it, eventually, all you gun nuts will whack each other.

Posted by: Rightside (IP Logged)
Date: December 18, 2007 12:18PM

Boils down to Wrote:
> It all boils down to a society that not only
> accepts but promotes guns as a means to defend
> oneself. What the NRA doesn't tell you is that
> accidental deaths are far more prevalent than self
> defenses. Plus, most of the guns in the hands of
> criminals were originally legal guns that were
> stolen. Nearly all handguns start off as legally
> obtained.

I hope you didn’t think you were going to get away with making a stupid, ignorant statement like the second sentence in your whining post. Without guns as a means to defend oneself, we have entered the “Victim” mentality that you obviouslyu embrace. The old adage “ when guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns” has never been more true. It’s far too late to make all guns magically disappear, that is never going to happen, ever. How else do we defend our homes? Let’s look at what happened in Campbell last week. Bravo to the homeowner! Go ahead and be a victim and see where it gets you…. Violated and most likely dead. You are correct that most guns in the hands of gangsters start out as legally purchased. But to say that accidental gun deaths are “more prevalent than self defense” NO WAY am I going to let you make a bleeding heart-liberal gun grabbing-Sarah Brady-propaganda-stupid statement like that. I have pasted some of the thousands of sources about that subject that makes you look like a fool. Read and weep. I have bolded and enlarged the stats that you will not like. These statistics are from the U.S. Dept of Justice, Office of Justice Programs, Bureau of Justice Statistics, updated 9/24/2005

• According to the National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS) in 2005, 477,040 victims of violent crimes stated that they faced an offender with a firearm.
• Incidents involving a firearm represented 9% of the 4.7 million violent crimes of rape and sexual assault, robbery, and aggravated and simple assault in 2005.
*The FBI's Crime in the United States estimated that 66% of the 16,137 murders in 2004 were committed with firearms.

In 2005, about 68% of all murders, 42% of all robberies, and 21% of all aggravated assaults that were reported to the police were committed with a firearm.
According to data from the National Center for Health Statistics, in 2001 about 39% of the deaths that resulted from firearms injuries were homicides, 57% were suicides, 3% were unintentional, and 1% were of undetermined intent.
• According to the 1997 Survey of State Prison Inmates, among those possessing a gun, the source of the gun was from -
• a flea market or gun show for fewer than 2%
• a retail store or pawnshop for about 12%
• family, friends, a street buy, or an illegal source for 80%
Accidental discharge of firearm,All Ages: 776

Date: December 18, 2007 12:26PM

Let's let Boils down to run his/her mouth about how guns are bad, and when somebody breaks into his/her home and holds one of his/her family members hostage or even worse kills one of them, then lets see what Boils down to has to say. Chances are good that this person has probably never fired a gun before in their life because they were raised to FEAR guns instead of treat guns with RESPECT. As far as it goes, I was extremely shocked to learn that a classmate I had graduated with was shot and killed a little over 6 months after we graduated high school, however this does NOT change my view on guns at all, because after all I'm goin to school to work on guns for the rest of my life. Rightside, you couldn't be more right, but that's what we get when we live in an area that is nothing but bleeding heart liberals who hate guns, sooner or later they'll figure it out.

Current Page: 1 of 16

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
News
Opinion
Entertainment
Sports
Services
Classifieds
Records
Discussions
Community
Help
Forms
Neighbors

HomeTerms of UsePrivacy StatementAdvertiseStaff DirectoryHelp
© vindy.com. All rights reserved. A service of The Vindicator.
107 Vindicator Square. Youngstown, OH 44503

Phone Main: 330.747.1471 • Interactive Advertising: 330.740.2955 • Classified Advertising: 330.746.6565
Sponsored Links: Vindy Wheels | Vindy Jobs | Vindy Homes