Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Cuts loom as voters defeat Youngstown school levy
Posted by: Vindy.com (IP Logged)
Date: November 08, 2006 06:30AM

Re: Cuts loom as voters defeat Youngstown school levy
Posted by: ront (IP Logged)
Date: November 08, 2006 06:30AM

Wendy Webb doesn't need to cut programs. She needs to cut some fat in Admininstration. There are too many people in administration that are paid high salaries. Maybe she to consider a paycut for herself.

Posted by: Westsider (IP Logged)
Date: November 08, 2006 09:22AM

I'll tell you why the levy was defeated - even former students of the system voted "No." Spending tens of thousands of dollars to close schools for three days at a time for "Flippen" training so teachers and principals can shake the student's hands when they come into the classroom is a phenomenal waste of money and the students in the district think it is a joke. The students don't need faculty and administrators to shake their hands, they need them to spark their interest in learning.

Posted by: Taxpayer (IP Logged)
Date: November 08, 2006 09:33AM

City residents already pay 2.75% in income taxes and the school board wants additional property taxes? Get real, the money just isn't there.

No teacher should be laid off either. It's time for the administration to get thinned out.

Mr. Mayor needs to get some jobs in the city so that more people own property and pay taxes. Of course, to do that Chief Hughes will have to demonstrate that businesses won't be robbed and we all know how effective YPD has been at that recently. In fact, lately working in a Subway or Taco Bell is like working in Baghdad.

Security = Business = Jobs = Tax Money

Posted by: bob (IP Logged)
Date: November 08, 2006 09:36AM

Memo to Dr. Webb.

Riddle me this Batman. Why should residents who have had to send their
children to schools outside the district, whether it's to mooney or ursiline
or opt for a district with open enrollment support this. I love your comment
about the advances the district has made. Hell the only way to go was up...

What we need is a study to tell us how many teachers, administrators and
staff this district who is losing students should have. To heck with the union.

I also love how we always want to see our young people stay here after they
graduate college. Yet how many teachers or admistrators do we have that
are either retired from this district or other districts.

And a question for all you teachers. How many of you live in this District???

Posted by: Anonymous (IP Logged)
Date: November 08, 2006 09:38AM

"Security = Business = Jobs = Tax Money"

Jimmy Hughes can't speak English let alone do math.

Posted by: snarky (IP Logged)
Date: November 08, 2006 09:43AM

I don't understand why the school superintendant wants the public to tell her what to cut. Sounds like she doesn't want to show leadership and make th ehard decisions. Isn't that what she's paid to do? If that's the case, why do we need her in that position at all? Maybe the cuts should start with her salary. I think the State of Ohio needs to come in and run the schools, the present leadership is obviously incapable of doing it.

Posted by: Dr. Painless (IP Logged)
Date: November 08, 2006 09:48AM

I agree with "ront" there are way too many admiinistrators getting way too large paychecks, including "Wndy Wendy" herself.

Also, the levy request was just too much. If it had passed, the insatiable unions would be smacking their lips for a pay raise.

Cut some fat at the top, consideri major cuts in busing, and quit crying about lost state revenue due to decreases in enrollment (after all, the state cuts the money because they assume that when you have as many less students as Y-town schools, they should require less money; a reasonable assumption.

Some of the school board members nee to take a long look in the mirror, and ask: ""Am I prt of the problem?"

Finally, it's long past time for Y-town and the suburban schools (along with their respective PTA's) to get together and publicly really beat up on the area's legislators in Columbus to get their heads out of their asses and solve the school funding issue equitably. Enough is enough.

Posted by: Taxpayer (IP Logged)
Date: November 08, 2006 09:51AM

"I don't understand why the school superintendant wants the public to tell her what to cut."

She wants to whine and get the message across that it's hard to manage the system with the money they get and that since voters made the decision to turn down the levy they should make the cuts. Well, too bad. She can either serve the school district with good leadership or leave. Parents are sending her a message that the school system is failing the students by sending their kids to other schools through open enrollment. Is that message getting through?

Webb is off her rocker if she thinks city voters will give her even more money to maintain a graduation rate of 50%. Why pay a premium to fail?

Posted by: Anon (IP Logged)
Date: November 08, 2006 09:55AM

"Webb is off her rocker if she thinks city voters will give her even more money to maintain a graduation rate of 50%. Why pay a premium to fail?"

Your school system is only as good as the product of its students.

Trash Parents = Trash kids = 50% dropout rate.

You can toss all the money in the world at YCS and you're still going to have a 50% dropout rate. The sad thing is, YCS students still can't graduate and they're 3 years behind their counterparts in the suburbs. Money is not the answer folks -- parenting is.

Toad

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
News
Opinion
Sports News
Entertainment News
Marketplace
Classifieds
Records
Discussions
Community
Submission Forms

HomeTerms of UsePrivacy StatementAdvertiseContact
© Vindy.com. All rights reserved. A service of The Vindicator.
107 Vindicator Square. Youngstown, OH 44503