Discussion Groups: Politics

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Obama has earned four more years
Posted by: joebialek (IP Logged)
Date: October 24, 2012 02:57PM

This letter is in response to the articles covering the 2012 Presidential Election.

It has often been said {and written} that a person's vote for a incumbent should be based on what he or she believes that candidate has done to benefit them personally. Well, for the first time in my 49 years on this planet I can honestly state that I personally benefited from the actions of President Barack Obama. Because of him I am a official HAMPster. It may have taken two and one-half years along with a lot of blood, sweat and tears {well maybe not blood unless you include paper cuts} but the effort required
to jump through every financial hoop possible proved to be more than worth it in the end. The interest rate on my mortgage is now the same or similar to what is being offered on the refinance market today. In full disclosure I supported Hilary Clinton for the Democratic Nomination back in 2008 and became somewhat disillusioned and embittered by her defeat. Still in all
President Obama has done very well in staying the course of our economy all the while being gridlocked by a party that offers no alternative ideas of it's own.

As for Mr. Romney; he appears to be the "Dagwood Bumstead" of American politics. One pratfall after another leads me to believe that this is the last person we need in the White House. As the old adage instructs "think before you speak." Mr. Romney’s over reactive quips demonstrate a pattern of someone who clearly has not thought the issues through but rather views
public service as a business; something to be tinkered with until the right outcome is achieved and then on to the next issue at hand. I can recall Nixon admonishing Reagan’s “war on the poor” as too severe even for his standards. Mr. Romney’s policies will be far worse and drive this country even deeper into division than even the rich are willing to risk.

This election is about a definite choice between someone who represents the few who have never had it so good and someone who represents the many that know we can {and will} do better. His name is Barack Obama and he deserves another four years.

Joe Bialek
Cleveland, OH

PS: The loss of Sesame Street in favor of Wall Street does not resonate well with Main Street.

[www.youtube.com]

"Do not fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion now accepted was once eccentric." Bertrand Russell

Re: Obama has earned four more years
Posted by: ront (IP Logged)
Date: October 24, 2012 03:25PM

joe,

some good arguments.

some of things that bother me about obama is as far as i have read, he has no plan to stem the read ink in social security and medicare. one may not like romney's plan, but he does have one.

obama's biggest concern in his first year was health care. no doubt an important issue. the only thing, we were in the greatest financial crisis since the great depression. from what i have heard, obama's plan is tax the rich more. it is true about 47% don't pay income taxes. these no payers range from the very poor, to some of the very rich.

there is no mention of how to make social security and medicare financially sound. in what i call a political ploy, a temporary cut in payroll taxes, which means social security and medicare was pushed by obama. these two programs are the largest budget items. the military rounding out the top three.

obama's plan is cut the military, but ignore the two other huge budget expenditures.

there is one other issue that really bothers me. it may seem trivial to some. a couple of years ago i watched a speech given by the president of mexico while in washington. he knocked us citizens. obama as well a few democratic congressional members stood up an applauded

during the last debate i heard obama talk about oil and natural gas production. i also remember the first two years his administration put a moratorium on drilling.

i don't agree with all romney proposes, but i feel a change is needed.

Posted by: MGB (IP Logged)
Date: October 24, 2012 04:39PM

joebialek Wrote:
-----------------------------------------------------
>
>
> Because of him I am a
> official HAMPster. It may have taken two and
> one-half years along with a lot of blood, sweat
> and tears {well maybe not blood unless you include
> paper cuts} but the effort required
> to jump through every financial hoop possible
> proved to be more than worth it in the end. The
> interest rate on my mortgage is now the same or
> similar to what is being offered on the refinance
> market today.

This statement is further proof that voting for this president is idiotic. What in God's name is this man doing getting the federal government so deeply involved in mortgage rates? HAMP is for people who are still employed but can't pay their mortgage, which is what we call a YOU problem. If you can't pay your bills then by all means, let's create a government program to deal with that issue for you. Why in the world would someone be expected to live up to their obligations?

Still in all
> President Obama has done very well in staying the
> course of our economy all the while being
> gridlocked by a party that offers no alternative
> ideas of it's own.

Well the economy was a mess when he showed up and it's a mess now, so I suppose he did stay the course.

>
> As for Mr. Romney; he appears to be the "Dagwood
> Bumstead" of American politics.

"You didn't build that..."

>
> This election is about a definite choice between
> someone who represents the few who have never had
> it so good and someone who represents the many
> that know we can {and will} do better. His name
> is Barack Obama and he deserves another four
> years.
>

He has been an unmitigated disaster, but you live in Cuyahoga County and are accustomed to such things.

> Joe Bialek
> Cleveland, OH
>
> PS: The loss of Sesame Street in favor of Wall
> Street does not resonate well with Main Street.
>

P.S. People who juxtapose "Wall Street" and "Main Street" in the same sentence are boring, pedestrian writers whose use of the cliche` de rigor makes my eyes bleed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2012 04:40PM by MGB.

Posted by: North-Yompton (IP Logged)
Date: October 24, 2012 04:41PM

The cost of Welfare will be a trillion dollars in 2013. And has doubled under Nobuma.

Posted by: Alexandre (IP Logged)
Date: October 24, 2012 05:27PM

I thought the Columbus Dispatch's editorial was spot-on:

"After nearly four years of economic stagnation, massive unemployment, record-setting debt and government intrusions into the economy that have paralyzed the private sector, the United States needs a new direction. For this reason, The Dispatch urges voters to choose Republican Mitt Romney for president in the Nov. 6 election."
[www.dispatch.com]

Posted by: 8Cinnamon2 (IP Logged)
Date: October 24, 2012 06:02PM

Alexandre,
I'll take this editorial in Newsweek just out:[www.thedailybeast.com]

"Housing starts in September surged to their fastest pace in four years, up 15 percent over August, far exceeding the experts’ predictions.

We all know about the 7.8 percent unemployment rate, the lowest in four years. OK, conservatives, cavil if you wish. But it’s the unemployment rate we have, and to most normal people cheering for America.

Fracking raising hopes that the U.S. will be a leading provider of natural gas and oil.

Consumer confidence is at a five-year high.

With the economy just starting to pick up steam after years in the doldrums, things might be all teed up for the winner of the election to preside over a rebounding and robust economy. Whoever wins will get the credit and reap the benefit.

And if it’s Romney? Well, that’ll be one lucky man. He’ll brag, of course, that it was all about his policies. The party that made the mess will spend the next few years or decades—and they’re pretty good at this sort of thing—hammering home the argument that they sorted it all out as soon as Obama got out of the way."

Don't let that happen. Keep moving forward with Obama.

Date: October 24, 2012 07:49PM

the federal reserve pumping trillions into the economy is the driver. monetary policy by congress and the president has created only more debt.

Posted by: 8Cinnamon2 (IP Logged)
Date: October 24, 2012 09:36PM

???
Sooo you credit the Federal Reserve with improving the economy?

Posted by: MGB (IP Logged)
Date: October 24, 2012 10:14PM

8Cinnamon2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Alexandre,
> I'll take this editorial in Newsweek just
> out:[www.thedailybeast.com]
> 21/michael-tomasky-the-economy-is-great-for-the-ne
> xt-president.html
>
> "Housing starts in September surged to their
> fastest pace in four years, up 15 percent over
> August, far exceeding the experts’ predictions.

You know what will help us climb out of an economic crisis caused by, among other things, a housing bubble? A president who is Hell-bent on inflating another housing bubble. Good deal.

>
> We all know about the 7.8 percent unemployment
> rate, the lowest in four years.

That number is inaccurate, to say the least. And it's also nothing to be proud of.

>
> Fracking raising hopes that the U.S. will be a
> leading provider of natural gas and oil.

Not until the US government stops making it nearly impossible to export said natural gas. As it stands that is a domestic resource who market has been pummeled by oversupply and underdemand.

>
> Consumer confidence is at a five-year high.

Know when consumer confidence was high? 10 minutes before $h!t fell apart. Consumers are the last to know anything. Their confidence is easily bought with platitudes and any half-decent government report.

>
> With the economy just starting to pick up steam
> after years in the doldrums, things might be all
> teed up for the winner of the election to preside
> over a rebounding and robust economy.

That's pretty wishful thinking. Whomever wins will have to deal with a pile of issues that aren't going anywhere and a stagnant economy that can no longer fully service its growing debt. Once the Fed loses the ability to manipulate interest levels and inflation the US government (read: we the taxpayers) will have skyrocketing debt that will not be paid off simply by soaking the rich. We will be the EU, but with more self-awareness.

Whoever wins
> will get the credit and reap the benefit.

Or get buried by the crushing weight of bloated government.

>
> And if it’s Romney? Well, that’ll be one lucky
> man. He’ll brag, of course, that it was all about
> his policies. The party that made the mess will
> spend the next few years or decades—and they’re
> pretty good at this sort of thing—hammering home
> the argument that they sorted it all out as soon
> as Obama got out of the way."

The party that made the mess? Please. Either you're a disingenuous jerk or you really have no grasp of the last two decades and how everyone within government (and plenty in the private sector) conspired to get rich and simply ignore the notion that risk could exist.

>
> Don't let that happen. Keep moving forward with
> Obama.

Date: October 25, 2012 06:59AM

i do think that. every qe the market went up. corporate earning havn't been so much from growth, cost cutting is a big factor. not a bad thing when the economy picks up.

unemployment is still high. while housing has improved, it is still nowhere near previous levels. car sells have improved, but again, nowhere near previous levels. the economy is growing at less than 2%. the average growth over the last 50 years has been 4%.

i do think at some point taxes will have to go up. that in addition to expenditure cuts. we are $ 16 trillion in debt, and borrow close to 40% of what we spend.

one argument the republicans use is the people can better spend their money vs the government taking it in taxes. if they actually believe that, why not do something about the flat wage growth, while at the same time, company earnings have risen.

8Cinnamon2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ???
> Sooo you credit the Federal Reserve with improving
> the economy?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
News
Opinion
Entertainment
Sports
Services
Classifieds
Records
Discussions
Community
Help
Forms
Neighbors

HomeTerms of UsePrivacy StatementAdvertiseStaff DirectoryHelp
© vindy.com. All rights reserved. A service of The Vindicator.
107 Vindicator Square. Youngstown, OH 44503

Phone Main: 330.747.1471 • Interactive Advertising: 330.740.2955 • Classified Advertising: 330.746.6565
Sponsored Links: Vindy Wheels | Vindy Jobs | Vindy Homes