facebook twitter RSS

Discussion Groups: Politics

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
This past Saturday ...
Posted by: yannibgoode (IP Logged)
Date: December 03, 2014 02:10PM

This past Saturday I had the occasion to watch a Gaelic Football game on the TV. At first I thought it was a soccer match which, not being a soccer guy (for the standard and generic reasons most give for not liking it), I was ready to move on when I noticed that this was different. At second glance I thought it was Rugby which also had me prepared to flip stations and then I realized it wasn't that either. I was something I had never seen before ... Gaelic Football. I was riveted. It's sorta like Extreme Soccer. You're permitted to handle the ball, dribble the ball, run with the ball as well as kick the damn thing into a net or through the cross bars. I didn't detect any protective gear either. Skill is obviously involved. Semi-serious contact can be made without penalty. Furthermore, it's a fairly high scoring game with non-stop action. Properly promoted, I sincerely believe it could seriously catch on in the US the way soccer hasn't seemed to be able to.

And by the way, there are both men's and women's leagues and I believe it is an amateur sport over there. There's nobody crying about salary caps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
News
Opinion
Entertainment
Sports
Services
Classifieds
Records
Discussions
Community
Help
Forms
Neighbors

HomeTerms of UsePrivacy StatementAdvertiseStaff DirectoryHelp
© vindy.com. All rights reserved. A service of The Vindicator.
107 Vindicator Square. Youngstown, OH 44503

Phone Main: 330.747.1471 • Interactive Advertising: 330.740.2955 • Classified Advertising: 330.746.6565
Sponsored Links: Vindy Wheels | Vindy Jobs | Vindy Homes